Te Atinga (Contemporary Visual Artists)
Te Atinga Statement
Mission: To provide a platform and give access to aspiring artists involved in contemporary visual arts.
Vision: Te Atinga aspires to be at the forefront of the contemporary maori visual arts movements
Te Atinga develops projects to develop and promote contemporary Maori art through exhibitions, wananga (symposia), publications and artist networks operating within regional to international tribal or urban centres.
Te Atinga fosters the development of emerging and established painters, sculptors, clay-workers, print-makers, digital and multi-media artists.
- Need a forum outside of institutions to learn from experienced local & international artists
- Through Te Atinga, young Maori artists have a unique access to the people of experience – via marae
- Toi Maori committee structure gives us a learning environment outside of institutions
- Need to develop a fighting fund so as to be able to conduct such Rangitahi hui
- Concern about loss of identity for Te Atinga within the collective of Toi Maori.